Find My Marriage License
Start Here: Where Did the Marriage Occur?[editedit source]
Some older marriage licenses will also list the type of ceremony such as a religious ceremony performed in a church or a ceremony held in a courthouse. You will also find the names of the witnesses to the wedding. The license should list those names in a typed format with their signatures below. The marriage record is composed from the marriage license information: names, ages, residences, witnesses, and sometimes birth dates, occupations, parents' names, and parents' addresses. Genealogically, this information can help to locate church records, newspaper accounts, and most importantly, an ancestor's maiden name. A Marriage License Certificate is a government issued document declaring to the world that two people have been authorized by the law of the State to enter the ‘Rites of Matrimony’. Marriage licenses have been around since the Middle Ages and are often required for filing taxes, buying a home, and other important life events. A Marriage License allows a couple to marry in the state but it is not proof of marriage. If you need proof of marriage, you can order a certified copy of your marriage certificate online from our website. Marriage license records may be searched using our online search feature. Continue to Search Page.
How To Find My Marriage License For Free
To find a marriage record, choose the state where the marriage occurred:
- What if you don't know the state? — Go to How to Estimate Marriage Information
- How to find US birth records
Tips about Searching United States Marriage Records[editedit source]
- Some couples were married in locations away from their home county where marriage laws were less restrictive. See the wiki page Gretna Greens.
- Most marriages are recorded on the county level.
- Most counties began recording marriages when the county was formed.
- Many counties forward marriage records to state agencies.
- Marriages recorded by state-level agencies vary widely by date and availability.
- Some marriages may only be found in church records.
Frequently Asked Questions about United States Marriage Records[editedit source]
How do I find my ancestor’s marriage record?
- Use the Finding US Marriage Records wiki page
- Check online indexes and digital images
- Check repositories, such as archives and libraries (FHL)
- Obtain certificate from the government agency ($$)
Why would I want to search for a marriage record?
- May give the exact date and place where the couple was married
- May indicate date and/or place of birth for bride and groom
- May list names and birthplaces of the bride’s and groom’s parents
What information does a marriage record include?
State and county officials followed different laws when gathering marriage information. Usually the following was included:
- Names of the bride and groom
- Where the bride and groom were married.
Some records also contain:
Where Can I Find My Marriage License
- Bride and groom's age at the time of marriage
- Residence of the bride and groom
- Birth date and/or place of the bride and groom
- Names of parents
- Birthplaces of parents
- Marital status of bride and groom--single, widowed, divorced
More information about US Marriage Records can be found on United States Vital Records wiki page.
Questions to Ask About Marriage Records[editedit source]
- Are records available for the dates when I would expect my ancestor to be getting married?
- Is the marriage database complete? Does it include all counties in the state?
- Does the marriage database contain images to the records which I can see online?
- Is the marriage database an index only? Will I need to order a film to see the original marriage record?
- Have I looked beyond the marriage date and names of the bride and groom for more family information that the record may contain?
- Is there more than one type of marriage record in the county? Does an additional county marriage record contain more information about my family?
Find My Marriage License Online
To obtain a certified copy of a marriage license or divorce decree, please contact the Clerk of Court in the county where the marriage or divorce was issued. Free pdf downloads of books.
How Do I Find My Parents Marriage License
If the county in which the marriage license was issued is unknown, a search may be conducted using:
- Indiana Courts’ Marriage License Public Lookup
- Indiana State Library’s Indiana Marriages Database through 1850
- Indiana State Library’s Indiana Marriages Database: 1958-2018
For more information about applying for a marriage license, please visit the Indiana Court’s Apply for a Marriage License page. To purchase a copy of a Record of Marriage, complete and submit State Form 54764.
Public Record For Marriage License
For U.S. Citizens who were married, or intend to marry, abroad, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s Marriage Abroad page for more information.